About Me

My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I'm an arts management worker/ artist/ designer. I work at Accessible Arts in administration and bookkeeping, but also work on various freelance activities from photography to graphic design. I'm Associate Partner at the ARI, the Big Fag Press, board member of Runway Australian Experimental Art and occasionally work at Bailey and Yang Consultants. My creative work has often been driven by social issues and commentary. This blog started as a way of documenting research for my honours year at uni, which I have continued, in order to gather inspiration for future artistic practice.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Second Skin

I loved the theory part of the subject Fashion, Gender and Identity, we could choose from any topic related to body, identity or clothing, I chose to think a little outside the box and analyse Tattooing from a fashion perspective. My essay Tattooing and Identity remains one of my greatest achievements in this course. I focused on three main ideas, that tattooing is an indicator of identity in an individual not just through aesthetics but also through the realms of the physical and the emotional processes it conducts. The main inspiration taken from this research was the idea of tattoos or clothes, or the way that we change the way we look, is all about conveying our sense of self (or disguising it) to the outside world.

I've recently been watching the series Criminal Minds, which begins and ends with a quote from significant leaders or writers - one that recently stuck out to me was,

"We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves to others, that in the end, we become disguised to ourselves."

*From the French:  
Nous sommes si accoutumés à nous déguiser aux autres qu'enfin nous nous déguisons à nous-mêmes.
-François de La Rochefoucauld

It also made me recall a Postsecret from Extraordinary Confessions of Ordinary Lives:

[Image Scanned from Book]

No comments:

Post a Comment