About Me

My photo
Sydney, NSW, Australia
I'm an arts management worker/ artist/ designer. I work at Accessible Arts in administration and bookkeeping, but also work on various freelance activities from photography to graphic design. I'm Associate Partner at the ARI, the Big Fag Press, board member of Runway Australian Experimental Art and occasionally work at Bailey and Yang Consultants. My creative work has often been driven by social issues and commentary. This blog started as a way of documenting research for my honours year at uni, which I have continued, in order to gather inspiration for future artistic practice.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

If I Go Like You

"To look a certain way evokes a certain understanding of who or what we are. How we are seen and wanting to be seen - If I go like you."

--Paul Gazzola



If I Go Like you is a project in which Paul Gazzola explores the relationship between clothes and people's identity. This is not the first time I've come across experiments where people have been asked to swap clothes or spend time wearing other people's clothing, and how uncomfortable and weird it makes them feel. The psychological phenomena of this is very interesting to me - clothes are seemingly just fabric to cover one's body for modest reasons and to protect ourselves from the elements, yet fashion and clothing have taken on social roles beyond our practical needs, and into our psychological ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment